What is Kāika Reo?
Kāika Reo is a fund established by Kotahi Mano Kāika (KMK) to support Kāi Tahu whānau groups to strengthen the use of te reo as an everyday language of intergenerational communication.
The fund will consider funding initiatives focused on learning and using te reo as an everyday informal language within the home and community
How much is available?
Participants can apply for up to $3500. However, less may be awarded subject to the number of suitable applicants for each deadline. Preference will be given to participants who are committed to the kaupapa of Kotahi Mano Kāika.
Who can apply?
Applicants must be registered with Ngāi Tahu, and will be applying on behalf of a KMK whānau cluster group. A KMK whānau cluster group will consist of no less than 4 registered Ngāi Tahu households.
The fund will give preference to:
- whānau clusters residing in Te Waipounamu
- initiatives focusing on everyday language within the home
- clusters of whānau practicing intergenerational transmission of te reo.
One applicant only per group can apply on behalf of the group and only one application per group per financial year.
Types of activities that will not be funded:
- The repayment of debt or retrospective funding of projects already underway before Fund closing dates
- Capital works including course books, course resources, laptops, cell phones
- Salary, wages, childcare costs
- Kia Kūrapa events
- Any overseas travel
- Funding for one-off wānaka reo.
There are 3 funding rounds each year for all KMK funds. These dates will fall on the last Friday of each of the following months: February, June, October.
The dates for 2018 funding year are as follows:
- Feb 23, 2018
- June 5, 2018
- Oct 5, 2018
Application forms must be received by the KMK Staff by 5pm on each of these dates.
Application Decision Process
- Applications are sent to the KMK Language Advisor.
- All applications will be considered by the KMK Funding Committee. Written notification of the decision of the KMK funding Committee will be provided to the applicant within 20 working days after the funding round closes.
- The decision of the KMK Funding Committee is final and binding, and no correspondence will be entered into.
Need help?If you have any questions or require further information – please contact:
Darren Solomon, KMK Advisor
0800 KAI TAHU